Does your work place or school has Browsing restrictive filters ? Even in free time you cannot access a wide range of sites? Then you are at the right place. Here we will teach you how to get around Heavy-handed browser restrictions with open source Phproxy.
But before getting deep into this, you need to install a local web server at your home PC, then run PH proxy from there
A quick study on proxy servers: Let’s say your workplace blocks you from using facebook. Many web filters block web sites based on URLs, so if facebook were blocked, the filter would recognize the URL http://facebook.com and automatically block any connection. A proxy works as a go-between for your browser and the web site you want to access, and as far as the web filter can tell, the proxy-employing user isn’t visiting facebook—she’s visiting whatever the URL is for the proxy. And since we’re setting PHProxy on your home computer, chances are low that the web filter will block your home IP address (or URL, which we’ll talk more in below).
Where can I access PHProxy?
You can find a public PHProxy service by searching for “PHProxy” in search engine, but if you know someone who has space on a Web server with unrestricted Internet access can set up a custom PHProxy service for you.
(If you have space on a Web server with unrestricted Internet access, you can establish a PHProxy service by yourself for people whose access is restricted. To do so, you can download the PHProxy script at http://sourceforge.net/projects/poxy/.)
How does it work?
Here’s an example that explains how PHProxy works:
- Enter the address of the PHProxy service, for example http://www.cship.info/poxy/ , in your Web browser.
- In the “Web Address” box on the PHProxy page, enter the address of the Web site you want to visit, for example, http://www.google.com. You can keep the default options.
- Click “Go” or press Enter.
The Web site you wanted to visit is displayed in the browser window.
To continue surfing, you can either:
- Click any link. The Web proxy will automatically retrieve linked pages.
- Enter a new URL in the “Address” box located at the top of the page.
You can keep the default options to browse. However you can choose between several advanced options:
- Include mini URL-form on every page: Check this option if you want to have a form on the proxified Websites so you can enter new URLs without going back again to the start page of the PHProxy. If you only have a small PC screen you may want to de-select this option so you will have more space for the target Web page.
- Allow cookies to be stored: Cookies are little text files with a unique user ID which are normally automatically stored in your browser. They are required for some websites which need authentication but can be used to find your identity. With this option turned on every cookie is stored for a long period of time. If you want to allow cookies for current session only, de-select this option and select “Store cookies for this session only”
- Show images on browsed pages: If you are on a poor Internet connection, you can de-select this option so the Web sites load faster.
- Strip meta information tags from pages: Meta tags are extra information stored on many websites to be used automatically by computer programs. Such information might include the name of the author, a description of the site content or keywords for search engines. You may check this option to avoid giving this information to keyword filters.
- Strip page title: When this option is turned on, PHProxy deletes the page title of the website, which you normally see in the title bar on top of your browser. This can be useful, for example, to hide the name of the Web site you are visiting when you minimize your browser.
- Store cookies for this session only: Same like the “Allow cookies to be stored” option. With this option turned on, your cookies are stored until you close your PHProxy session.
So, this is how you can use a PHproxy and get access to restricted sites at your office or schools. Don’t use proxy during your work time and get fired by your boss Hope this is useful for all of you.